Power conversion calculator – convert different power units.
mW, W, kW, MW, GW, dBm, dBW, hp(I), hp(E) adn BTU/hr conversion calculator.
What is a watt?
Watt is a basic SI unit of power and it is equal to one joule per second.
1 watt = 1 joules / second
1 W = 1 * J / s =
1 * N * m / s =
1 * kg * m² / s³ in basic SI units
Watt can also be defined in terms of electromagnetism:
1 watt = 1 ampere * 1 volt
SI Unit Watt
The most common ones are the SI unit watt and its most frequently used multiples:
- milliwatts (mW)
- watts (W)
- kilowatts (kW)
- megawatts (MW)
- gigawatts (GW)
There are other power units, including horsepowers:
- British thermal units per hour (Btu/h, sometimes known as Btu or BTU)
- mechanical horsepowers (hp(l))
- electric horsepowers (hp(E))
The formulas implemented in power converter to change between any from popular power units into watts look as follows:
- 1 milliwatt [mW] = 0.001 watt [W] = 10⁻³ watt [W]
- 1 kilowatt [kW] = 1000 watt [W] = 10³ watt [W]
- 1 megawatt [MW] = 1000000 watt [W] = 10⁶ watt [W]
- 1 gigawatt [GW] = 1000000000 watt [W] = 10⁹ watt [W]
- 1 Btu/hour [Btu/h] = 0.293071 watt [W]
- 1 mechanical horsepower [hp(l)] = 745.6998715823 watt [W]
- 1 electric horsepower [hp(E)] = 746 watt [W]